A pineapple a day
MetadataShow full item record
CTA. 2001. A pineapple a day. Spore 96. CTA, Wageningen, The Netherlands.
Permanent link to cite or share this item: https://hdl.handle.net/10568/46376
External link to download this item: http://spore.cta.int/images/stories/pdf/old/spore96.pdf
Could it be a fairy tale? Pineapples that are good for everybody, farmers, traders and consumers alike? Perhaps not. In 1999, around 170 Ghanaian pineapple growers organised themselves with the prime objective of getting a better price for their...
Could it be a fairy tale? Pineapples that are good for everybody, farmers, traders and consumers alike? Perhaps not. In 1999, around 170 Ghanaian pineapple growers organised themselves with the prime objective of getting a better price for their pineapples. With support from the World Bank, the farmers established a consortium called Farmapine, which consists of five producers' associations, who own 80% of Farmapine, and two exporting companies, who own the remaining 20% of the shares. Farmapine provides its shareholders with credit, inputs and advice on cultivation, hygiene and market information. An extra advantage for the farmers is not only higher prices, but prompt payment, two weeks after delivery to Farmapine. This is much more reliable than when they delivered to individual traders and payments were made much later or even not at all. Farmapine also operates a warehouse, for packing and shipping. The two participating trading companies were chosen for their experience in exporting to the European Union (Ghana s major market) and their ability to comply with a jungle of regulations concerning uses of chemicals, labour standards, freshness, hygiene, storage and transport. From a modest 9,000 t in 1992, exports to Europe in 2000 exceeded 35,000 t of pineapples. Of this, more than 12% (or 4,000 t) was exported by Farmapine. [caption to illustration] Lord of the rings Farmapine PO Box 17811, Accra, Ghana Fax: +233 21 225 828
SubjectsMARKETING AND TRADE;
- CTA Spore (English)