Responsible fishing in the Indian ocean
MetadataShow full item record
CTA. 2005. Responsible fishing in the Indian ocean. Spore 118. CTA, Wageningen, The Netherlands.
Permanent link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/10568/47891
Internet URL: http://spore.cta.int/images/stories/pdf/old/spore118.pdf
The recently launched South West Indian Ocean Fisheries Commission (SWIOFC) aims to promote responsible fishing
The recently launched South West Indian Ocean Fisheries Commission (SWIOFC) aims to promote responsible fishing and the development of sustainable fisheries in the region. In the western section of the Indian Ocean, 75% of fishery resources are currently being fished at their maximum yield. The other 25% are over-exploited and require better management. The new commission s first task will be to help improve the collection and monitoring of data on catches. At a later date, the fishing body will set up a mechanism that will let countries set binding management regulations for responsible coastal and high-seas fishing. www.fao.org/fi/default.asp