Danish study on the Harbinson proposals
MetadataShow full item record
CTA. 2003. Danish study on the Harbinson proposals. Agritrade, April 2003. CTA, Wageningen, The Netherlands.
Permanent link to cite or share this item: https://hdl.handle.net/10568/52833
External link to download this item: http://agritrade.cta.int/Back-issues/Agriculture-monthly-news-update/2003/April-2003
A study by the Danish Research Institute for Food Economics has analysed the...
A study by the Danish Research Institute for Food Economics has analysed the first draft of the Harbinson proposals, concluding that: 80% of the expected gains of US $100 billion in increased global real income would accrue to OECD countries, while the remaining 20% would be spread amongst a relatively large number of developing countries, including least-developed countries; net food-importing developing countries will be negatively affected as a result of higher food import prices; traditional beneficiaries of preferences (such as the ACP) would be negatively affected by multilateral trade liberalisation. Comment: The most significant finding of this study is the fact that preferred partners like the ACP will be negatively affected by a new agreement on agriculture, while OECD exporters like the EU will gain the bulk of the benefits.
SubjectsMARKETING AND TRADE;
- CTA Agritrade